“The perfect base for you to enjoy mountain biking and road cycling in the remote, empty heartland of Wales”
Llanerchindda offers fantastic facilities for mountain bikers and road cyclists, including:
- Secure storage for your bike
- Drying room
- Packed lunches (available on request at £8.50 per person per day)
- Information leaflets on local trails (available in our Map Room)
Bikes can be hired for you to be picked up from Llanerchindda
We are situated in a great area for mountain biking, with many purpose-built tracks available locally, including:
- Crychan Forest – 4 miles from Llanerchindda. There are many miles of forest tracks in the forest open to the public with a number of family-friendly bike trails waymarked, ranging from 3.7 miles to 8.1 miles in distance. See www.crychanforest.org.uk for more details.
- Cwm Rhaeadr Trail – 5 miles from Llanerchindda. The trail, designed by Rowan Sorrell, weaves across open ground, descends a rocky ridge, climbs gently to a view point over the Tywi valley and then snakes down through mature larch and Douglas fir trees. This is graded as a red route. It is 6.7km long, climbs 210 metres and will take approximately 45 mins.
- Coed Trallwm – 17 miles from Llanerchindda. Mountain Bike Centre and Forest Cafe with three trails (a Blue Trail which is 4km and climbs 95 metres, a Red Trail which is 5km and climbs 140 metres, and a Black Trail which is 5km and climbs 155 metres). See www.coedtrallwm.co.uk for more details.
- Gorlech Trail Brechfa Forest – 30 miles from Llanerchindda. This is the first of three new mountain bike trails in the Brechfa Forest. Designed by Rowan Sorrell, the red route is made up of three big climbs and descents stretching over its 19km. The trail has 1,071 metres of climbs and should take between 1¼ and 3 hours to complete. The trail is a hard, fast, all-weather surface which becomes more and more exciting as your skill level and speed progresses. Soon you’ll be railing the perfectly sculptured berms and huge switchbacks, jumping the step-up jumps and tabletops and grinning all the way to the bottom of the exhilarating final descent.
- Derwen Trail Brechfa Forest – 35 miles from Llanerchindda. The Derwen Trail comprises a green route which is 9.2km, with 506 metres of climbing, and should take between 1½ and 2 hours to complete, and a blue route (which can be added on to the green route). A further 4.7km, with 307 metres of climbing, it should take between threequarters of an hour and 1 hour extra to complete. The Derwen Trail is suitable for the inexperienced off-road rider. Clinging low to the valley sides, the trail eases you in with steady climbs and fun descents. You then have the option to take the longer blue route which climbs a steeper bank before taking in a longer, faster descent.
It is also possible to mountain bike from the farm. Below is a suggested route to give you an idea of what is available:
- Dam Blaster Circuit – Starting from Llanerchindda, this is approximately a 30-mile route that we have devised ourselves. You descend to the bottom of a valley and then climb steeply into a forest before following forest tracks to a minor road. You then follow the road along the side of the Llyn Brianne Reservoir to Soar Mynydd, before returning via forest tracks, over the Llyn Brianne Dam and along the road to the village of Rhandirmwyn.
Llanerchindda is situated just 9 miles from Llanwrtyd Wells, the smallest Town in Wales, which has a number of events throughout the year, including:
- World MTB Bog Snorkelling Championships
- Bog Triathlon – this event includes a 7½-mile run, a 60-yard swim of a bog snorkelling trench and a 19-mile mountain bike ride.
- Red Kite Bash – this includes four days of summer riding in the rugged Cambrian Mountains.
- Real Ale Wobble
For more details on these events, please see www.green-events.co.uk
If you would like any further information, or have any questions, please call us on 01550 750274, or e-mail us on email@example.com.
Sat Map GPS available to hire
We have available a Sat Map GPS system which has the entire UK 1:50,000 OS Landrange Map on it. We have uploaded a number of circular routes on to the GPS which can then be followed.
The Sat Map is designed for outdoor use and is available to hire with a bike mount. The battery lasts 12 to 16 hours and the unit is very user-friendly.
Hire charges are as follows:
1 Day £30.00
2 Days £50.00
3 Days £60.00
For further information, please call us on 01550 750274, or e-mail us on: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on mountain biking and road cycling in the area, check out http://www.discovercarmarthenshire.com/explore/epic-cycling-routes/